29 April 2011

Petra, day 1

Here is the link for pictures from day 1 of Petra!

The short version:

Went to bed frustrated because the internet was gone and I had the final part of a group project due; it was cold and rainy and none of the bus company numbers I had tried worked. Woke early today and it was *still* cold and raining heavily. Walked a great deal before finally getting a cab; very nervous I wouldn't make it in time for the 6:30 am bus. I did, however, and we got two of the last 5 seats on the bus. Waited with a lot of German, French, and Russian tourists. Uneventful bus ride, although my lovely traveling partner did bring food that I obligingly ate :-)
Got here and got a taxi; email from the hotel had said it would be 2JD (which really is generous). Like fools, didn't establish the price before hand....he tried to make us pay five at the end. He had to settle for 3 as he cussed us out. Lovely man. Room wasn't ready (checkout is at 2:30, what can I say), so we had a glass of tea while waiting. Got to our rooms, got wonderful internet access and got my assignments submitted. Then, a 1JD taxi ride to the opening - no maps available because the building is under renovation - and we got our 1JD tickets, instead of the normal 50JD or so. Being a Jordanian resident rocks! Went in and explored. Saw disgusting evidence and displays of public urination. Saw much other general "Haram-ness" (come on, ladies, you really should wear more than a camisole and short-shorts here!) at which I, in my long sleeved sweater and jeans, sadly clicked my tongue. Had fun climbing about. Pondered how the giant sand-stone walls made me feel under-water. Also ate an absolutely enormous sandwich for lunch, sitting in an old tomb, over looking the Wall of Facades. Thought deeply about the transitory nature of humanity and our accomplishments, standing in front of the nearly worn away Theatre build in the time of Christ. Beautiful weather, day, and company! Walked back to the entrance in the cool of the evening, got a 1JD taxi back to the hotel; then to lovely, steaming hot showers and more internet. You can see the pictures for yourself. Lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment